As Your Case Progresses

Frequently Asked Questions About My Case

  1. How do I keep track of my case after I file my appeal?
  2. What if I have questions?

1. How do I keep track of my case after I file my appeal?

If you have a lawyer, he or she should help you keep track of the case. Regardless of whether you have a lawyer or not, when you file your notice of appeal you will be able to track your case through your case docket number.

  • The Clerk of the Court will assign your case a docket number.
  • This number is known as a docket number and will be different from your VA claim file number, your military service number, and your Social Security number.
  • The first two digits of the docket number are the last two digits of the year in which the claim is filed.
  • The last four digits represent the order in which appeals are received by the Court during the calendar year.
  • Thus the 15th Notice of Appeal filed in 2021 would have docket number “21-0015.”

All of the docket information is available on the Court’s website at

  • On the left side of the home page is a menu (list) of pages; clicking on "Docket Search" will allow you to search for your case (you may go directly to the page here: Docket Search).
  • To search for your case, type in your docket number in the "case number" box and hit "Search".

If you do not have a lawyer or other representative, you must include your docket number on whatever documents you send to the Court about your appeal.

Return to top

2. What if I have questions?

If you are represented, your lawyer should be able to help. Do not contact the Court or VA directly; your lawyer will do that for you.

If you are not represented,

  • If the Pro Bono Program is evaluating your appeal, you can contact the Program with questions about your case at any time during the review process.
  • The office of the Clerk of the Court can also answer questions about procedures and the status of your appeal (not legal advice or case outcome).
  • Contact the Clerk’s office only when you do not have a lawyer or representative, and only if you have not asked the Pro Bono Program to review your case.
  • You can reach the Clerk’s office at (202) 501-5970.

Return to top

How to Appeal Your Claim & FAQs

This website is intended to provide information to individuals who have an active appeal at the US Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims. It is based on the Veterans Consortium’s understanding of the Court’s Rules of Practice and Procedure as of this posting, May (2011). Those rules are subject to change, but an appellant will receive a complete set of current Rules of Practice and Procedure from the clerk of the Court after the Notice of Appeal is filed.

The current Rules of Practice and Procedure are also available at the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims website.