skip to content

The Veterans Consortium Pro Bono Program

Filing Your Appeal at the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims


If you have received a denial for your VA claim from the Board of Veterans Appeals (known as the BVA), you can appeal the decision. You must file your Notice of Appeal within 120 days of the decision with the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims. You can get the Notice of Appeal on the Court's web site (go to and fill out Form 1).

Download it, fill out the questions and mail it to the Court.
If you can't download the form from the computer, you can call us (toll-free 1-888-838-7727) and we will send you the form. A U.S. Postal Service Postmark will constitute the date of filing. If you use UPS, FedEx or another courier or shipping service, the filing date will be the date the appeal arrives at the Court. If you can't fill out the Notice of Appeal form, you can write a letter to the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims and state "I want to appeal my BVA decision dated __________."

Make sure you include your full name, your current mailing address, a working phone number where you can be reached, an email address if you have one, and your VA claims file number. Sending the completed form, or writing a letter to the Court, within 120 days, will get the appeal filed.

For more information, watch our What We Do video to learn more about how we represent veterans and their loved ones free of charge at the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims.