Filing Your Appeal at the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims


If you have received a denial for your VA claim from the Board of Veterans Appeals (known as the Board or BVA), you can appeal the decision. You must file your Notice of Appeal within 120 days of the decision with the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims (Court). You can get the Notice of Appeal on the Court's web site (go to and fill out Form 1).

After filling out and signing the Notice of Appeal, send it to the Court by:


You may email the completed Notice of Appeal form to; You will get an immediate confirmation that it was received.


A U.S. Postal Service Postmark will constitute the date of filing. If you use UPS, FedEx or another courier or shipping service, the filing date will be the date the appeal arrives at the Court.


The Court's fax number is: 202-501-5848

If you need assistance with the Notice of Appeal form, call us (toll-free 1-888-838-7727).

Make sure you include your full name, your current mailing address, a working phone number where you can be reached, an email address if you have one, and your VA claims file number. Sending the completed form, or writing a letter to the Court, within 120 days, will get the appeal filed.

For more information, watch our What We Do video to learn more about how we represent veterans and their loved ones free of charge at the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims.