Closed: Client Services Specialist
January 26, 2023
Join our team!
TVC is a leading independent, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that has provided pro bono legal representation in federal venues and complementary legal assistance services to veterans and their loved ones or survivors since 1992. For over three decades, TVC’s pro bono attorneys and staff have helped more than 73,000 individuals, taken on nearly 6,000 cases for deserving clients, and trained more than 61,000 pro bono attorneys and associated professionals for our National Volunteer Corps. TVC is located at 2101 L Street, NW, Suite 840, Washington, DC, 20037.
Essential Job Functions:
- Responds to incoming inquiries regarding VA appeals and the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims (CAVC) process via phone, mail and electronic communication.
- Logs incoming mail and enters documents into the case management system properly.
- Assists with collecting appellant information from the CAVC to prepare information packets to send to pro se appellants.
- Assists with screening of incoming calls and routes to appropriate individuals.
- Assists with entering data into our case management system for new prospective clients; follows up on missing forms or documents, as needed.
- Creates, handles, updates and maintains appellants’ paper and electronic case files, as directed.
- Assists Client Services team with processing incoming mail and scans it to appropriate individual.
- Supports the Program by running key reports to ensure accuracy on a day-to-day basis.
- Prepares and mails client correspondence.
- Works on client-related projects and tasks for other departments as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Job Specifications Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or 2 years of equivalent experience.
- Experience and knowledge with VA Benefits and/or the VA Claims process helpful.
- Veteran or military/veteran spouse an advantage.
Exceptional customer service skills.
Ability to think critically and offer proactive recommendations, information and solutions.
Excellent written and verbal interpersonal skills that ensure effective communication with a diverse range of internal and external customers.
Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook; willing and able to be trained in organization’s Prevail case management system.
Demonstrated skills and track record for high performance and sustained productivity to achieve desired results.
Exceedingly well organized, professional, and flexible.
Strong prioritization skills; attention to detail is a must.
Approaches situations with sense of humor and creativity.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to remain in a stationary position for extended periods of time, and frequently communicate. The employee must be able to exchange information with others. This position requires occasional movement inside the office to access filing cabinets, office machinery, etc. This position frequently operates a computer and other office machinery such as a shredder, fax, copy machine, and computer printer. This position requires the incumbent to be able to occasionally reach for, lift and move office equipment, documentation, and supplies. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee will normally work in a temperature-controlled office environment, with frequent exposure to electronic office equipment. TVC enjoys the benefit of employees being able to work in a hybrid in-office/remote or “work from home” environment. TVC provides a laptop/IT equipment for in home use. For remote work environments, individuals must have a reliable and secure internet connection and cell phone and may be required to download an application to their phone.
During visits to areas of operations, the employee may be exposed to extreme cold or hot weather conditions. The employee must be able to travel up to 10% of the time using public and/or personal transportation. The employee will be required to be physically present in the office during the work week for the first month of employment for training. After the training period, the employee may telework two to three days per week, at the supervisor’s discretion.
Employment At-Will Disclaimer
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Employment in this position is at-will and subject to termination by the employer or the employee at any time and for any reason, with or without notice. The statements in this job description do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
- Medical, dental and vision insurance with generous employer contribution
- TVC-paid Life, Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Generous paid vacation/sick time (PTO) and all federal holidays off
- Annual cost of living salary adjustment and separate annual merit increase consideration
- “Summer Fridays” with half day Fridays and four-day holiday weekends from Memorial Day to Labor Day
- Retirement 403b Savings Plan including TVC match up to 3%
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Hybrid work environment that allows for working from home but establishes regular in-person office presence several days per week
- Free access to excellent on-site fitness center; rooftop penthouse and deck
- Great location and office environment- blocks away from all metro lines (Farragut West, Foggy Bottom, Dupont Circle (Red, Blue, Orange, Yellow, Silver Lines), numerous restaurants, day care facilities and parking garages
The Veterans Consortium is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of The Veterans Consortium that no employee or applicant for employment or services will be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, political affiliation, family responsibilities or family status, veteran’s status, or any other basis prohibited by law, including the DC Human Rights Act and Language Access Act.