Full Time Position
The Veterans Consortium seeks to hire a full time Paralegal to advance the cause of justice for veterans and their families, caregivers, and survivors. The paralegal will provide primary support to The Veterans Consortium Discharge Upgrade Program. The individual must work productively with staff attorneys/veterans law specialists and staff. Consistent with the unique nature of The Veterans Consortium Pro Bono Program, the paralegal provides support to volunteer attorneys and associated personnel, including screening records, preparing written memorandums, placing cases, transmitting case files, ensuring reference materials disseminated, tracking and monitoring actions, and providing customer service for, and quality assurance of, our TVC National Volunteer Corps℠ operations. Our ideal candidate has a passion to serve veterans, can operate with considerable autonomy, wants to help our organization grow and thrive, and is production-oriented. Join our team!
At The Veterans Consortium, we believe our Veterans—our nation’s defenders—deserve the care, benefits, and compensation they were promised and the best legal services, free of charge, go meet their challenges. TVC is a leading independent, nonprofit organization that has provided pro bono legal representation in federal venues and complementary professional services to veterans and their loved ones or survivors since 1992. For 26 years The Veterans Consortium’s pro bono attorneys and staff have helped more than 47,000 individuals, taken on nearly 6,000 cases for deserving clients, and trained more than 4,000 pro bono attorneys and associated professionals for our TVC National Volunteer Corps.
Essential Job Functions:
- Responds to incoming discharge upgrade inquiries via phone and electronic communication with excellent customer service skills.
- Screens and reviews military personnel and medical records for potential case representation. Writes screening memorandums utilizing appropriate administrative standards.
- Supports the Program Manager in placing cases with volunteer attorneys. Provides administrative support as needed, including correspondence preparation and mailing, meeting management, report creation, presentation creation, and database entries and updates.
- Transfers case files and ensures reference materials are sent and received. Uses related online/”cloud” tools and systems.
- Supports all aspects of the volunteer corps management and administration, including tracking and updating volunteer information, assisting with training administration, and preparing/sending volunteer recognition documents (thank-you letters, certificates of training completion, or appreciation/commendation, etc.), and other publicity/public recognition.
- Supports the law clinics project, and office interns/law clerks project, by assisting the Program Manager with outreach, administration, shipping, and other support.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Demonstrated exceptional customer service
- Successful creation and/or modification of processes and procedures
- Ability to communicate with diverse veteran populations, especially those with psychiatric disabilities
- Veteran preferred. Military personnel experience also an advantage
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to think critically, make decisions and offer proactive information and solutions
- Excellent written and verbal interpersonal skills that ensure high quality communication with a diverse range of internal and external customers
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and internal systems
- Demonstrated skills and track record for autonomy, high performance and sustained productivity to achieve desired results
- Exceedingly well organized, professional and flexible
- Approaches situations with sense of humor and creativity
Salary & Benefits
Compensation is based on a competitive public interest salary scale. TVC offers medical and dental packages, a 403(b) retirement plan with employer contribution, and professional development resources and opportunities, as well as vacation days, sick leave, and all federal holidays. This position is non-exempt.
Interested candidates please send your cover letter and resume to:
Hiring Manager, The Veterans Consortium, at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Veterans Consortium is an Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of The Veterans Consortium that no employee or applicant for employment or services will be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, political affiliation, family responsibilities or family status, veteran’s status, or any other basis prohibited by law, including the DC Human Rights Act and Language Access Act.