Your Appeal for Veterans Benefits
to the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
Have you recently had an appeal of a claim for VA benefits denied by the Board of Veterans’ Appeals (BVA)?
- Because the BVA is the final level of review within the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), an appeal of a BVA decision must be made to the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims (Court), a special court for veterans and their families. The Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims is a separate, independent judicial body and is NOT part of VA.
There are many reasons to seek a lawyer’s help with your appeal.
- Although you are not required to have a lawyer represent you, you will be at a significant disadvantage without one.
- The Court has specific Rules of Practice and Procedure that must be followed. You may be unfamiliar with those rules and procedures, as well as with the ever-changing law of veterans benefits.
- A lawyer can guide you through the system and help you make the best arguments for your appeal.
Neither the Court nor VA will find a lawyer for you.
- Finding a lawyer is strictly your responsibility.
- We provide free legal counseling and representation to veterans and their families who have cases that should be appealed.
The below information describes how to file an appeal and how to obtain legal assistance for your appeal to the Court, specifically, the services provided by the Veterans Consortium Pro Bono Program.
How to Appeal Your Claim & FAQs
This website is intended to provide information to individuals who have an active appeal at the US Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims. It is based on the Veterans Consortium’s understanding of the Court’s Rules of Practice and Procedure as of this posting, May (2011). Those rules are subject to change, but an appellant will receive a complete set of current Rules of Practice and Procedure from the clerk of the Court after the Notice of Appeal is filed.
The current Rules of Practice and Procedure are also available at the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims web site .